My summative feedback from my design for real life project was positive which I am so pleased with! I am happy that the message I aimed to spread was received successfully by my outcomes! Karyl at the Pernicious Anaemia society talked so highly of what me and my group had accomplished at our presentation, she was so lovely to work with and im so glad she liked what we had all produced and the different angles we had chosen to approach the issue of pernicious anaemia awareness. A couple weeks after our presentation Karyl arranged for me and my group to present our work to the chairman of the pernicious anaemia society who then arranged for me and my group to showcase our work at the yearly Pernicious Anaemia conference!
This project has been a thrill to work with and has allowed me to get a sense of working in the real world. It was so accomplishing to complete designs to the client brief and have them love your outcomes and the way you had interpreted the brief!
Following my summative hand in and feedback, there was a couple tweaks needed to push my designs up to the highest level and hopefully achieve a high grade, I knew there was an opportunity to expand the scope of my designs so I wanted to make sure this was a priority of mine before final hand in.
As I have left my designs of PA for a couple of months, it gave me fresh eyes when it came to revisiting my outcomes and pushing them further. I first wanted to approach my posters;
- ‘The Pas logo must remain consistent on every touchpoint (size, colour, position etc – think about creating a brand guideline if Pas do not already have one).‘
- ‘Because of the boldness of the imagery the poster design feels cramped, think about how to create more space around the elements. ‘
It was clear to see when looking back at my poster designs that they were a bit over-cramped, with the detail of information looking messy. As a trio of posters that work together as a set, it was important that there was unity and a cohesivity between them all.
I started by creating space on the poster by reducing the size of the elements, giving the poster more negative space and make it overall more calming to look at. I gave more space around the type to stop the overlaying of elements that wasn’t reciprocated in the other posters I produced. I also worked on the information below the poster design. On my original outcome the information is very large and doesn’t seem to sit well with the text being left aligned, I worked on sorting this by minimising the elements and working on the type setting.
I went to work on the same thing throughout all my poster outcomes. I made sure that the information elements on the poster remained the same throughout, something they didn’t do before and I think really allows to posters to be sleek, clear and successful. I also worked in flipping the colour background of the bottom two outcomes so they remain consistent with the brand guidelines I have created for my outcomes, along with changing ‘feeling dizzy?’ to ‘feeling confused?’ so that each poster has its own distinct tag line which is different from the rest.
IMAGES IN CONTEXT
I felt it was important to my final submission that I showcase my outcomes in the context that I designed them to be in to show how the design has evolved in the way it has.
I worked on adobe dimensions for the first time to create this mock up above. It has taken me a while to get use to using dimensions as it is something that I haven’t had any practice with before and something I still need a lot of practice with. I worked with a bus stop mock up as one of the places I would put my posters, I have situated this bus stop in font of the university to capture students on their daily commutes. The bus is something I got everyday too and from uni and I dread to think how many hours I have spent waiting at a bus stop. Here the posters will be seen by student multiple times a day and allow them more opportunity to interact with the posters.
When writing about the scope for my project in my design document in my first submission, I mentioned how the campaign can be developed further by its presence during freshers fairs. I wanted to show how this concept could look for my final submission. I developed two simplistic banners that could be used during freshers fairs, I wanted the banners to remain minimal whilst encapsulating my design along side the current brand guidelines that PAS already have in place, I then sat these banners along side my outcomes.
In my scope I also mentioned how it would be beneficial to the campaign to produce beer coasters that could be put in students unions and pubs; places which students are often present at, to encourage normalised conversations about PA, and increasing awareness amongst students. Keeping the format and overall design cohesive to the posters, I wanted to push the design further by changing the caption to fit the context in which the coasters would sit in.
I am overall really pleased with my finished campaign for PAS! It has allowed me to push myself into thinking about how our designs can be communicated effectively to our target audience and how to work alongside briefing guidelines. It was so nice to be able to work with a live client on this brief, although the campaign itself didn’t end up going anywhere, I hope that our work inspired the team over at PAS on different ways they could capture differing audiences and hopefully spread more awareness of Pernicious Anaemia.